Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Proud to be a Dad

Every week, and usually every day even, I find a reason that I'm proud to be a Dad.

Last night, as he often wants to do, my oldest child Ethan wanted to come into my youngest son Jaron's room to say goodnight. They are 6 and 2 respectively. Ethan acts like a father in many ways, and last night he wanted to come sing a good-night song and give Jaron a kiss. Jaron insists that he get no less than two songs, and usually the same three: Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam, I am A Child of God, and Jesus Loves Me (this I know, for the Bible tells me so). Lately Jaron has wanted at least one or two of these songs to be sang in the voice of one of his stuffed animals. He has an Elmo, a cow and a snake. Once I sang something in Elmo's voice he was hooked, and I only get away with just singing in a normal voice if Jaron forgets, or maybe he actually likes it normal sometimes.

Anyway, last night Jaron wanted Elmo to sing, so Ethan was very patient and found out what Jaron wanted, and then changed his voice to sound more like Elmo. (Thank goodness he didn't say the word 'Elmo' whenever the words are supposed to be 'I' or 'me'. I always thought that characteristic about Elmo was annoying and bad for kids. Plus that would ruin the song: "Jesus loves Elmo, this Elmo knows, for the Bible tells Elmo so" just ain't powerful.)

Ethan got done with the song, and Jaron seemed happy about it. Then they gave each other a kiss on the cheek and Ethan went off to his room. I talked to Ethan about it before he went to sleep and I could tell that he is happy I noticed and complimented him on wanting to be a good Dad. I guess I must be doing something right!

No comments: