Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Well, Hang it all!

With the help of my Dad, we found a way that was simple enough to get the new doorbell wiring down into the basement. Really, I just had to take the wire straight down inside of the wall, but the problem was going to be drilling down through floor joists and stair supports. I didn't have a drill bit that was long enough for that.

Since we are talking about low-voltage wire for the doorbell, and not the normal 120/240V stuff, we decided instead to just make a small hole above and below each board we were going to drill through, and instead just make a trench between the two holes. Then the wire could come out of the wall from the top hole hole, sit in the bottom of the trench and go back into the wall in the bottom hole. Patching up the sheetrock trench will be easier and stronger than patching a large hole in the sheetrock.

Here is a good example to know what I'm talking about:


Here is the longest trench I had to make. This is at the level of the ceiling/floor between above the basement. There was board behind this hole that made us have to make a very long trench. I think it would have been almost impossible to drill a hole through that and fish the wires through it.


So now the problem is that we decided to move over our front entry mirror so that it is more centered between a door and the wall. It was simple enough to measure and eyeball where the center should be, but I should have measured where each sheetrock screw should go because I had one side too low, then I spackled the hole and waited around 24 hours, then I used a level and thought I was drilling a hole that would be just right, but I made a hole that was too high, and had to fill it in with spackle as well. Hopefully today I can make a hole in just the right spot.

After that I'll paint over my spackle and hopefully our front entry will look like nothing ever happened. Michelle will be very happy to have the 'pardon our dust' look gone.

No comments: